uk car insurance maria khan

Vehicle insurance

If you’re in an accident

If you’re in an accident If you have an accident causing damage or injury you must give the following to anyone with ‘reasonable grounds for requiring them,’ for example an insurance company:

your name and address
the vehicle registration number
You also need to give the owner’s name and address if the vehicle isn’t yours.

You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours if you don’t give your details at the time of the accident.

You must also report the accident to your insurance company, even if you’re not planning to make a claim

Accidents with uninsured motorists

You should tell the police if you have an accident with someone who’s not insured.

Your insurance company will also be able to give you more advice.

You might also be able to get compensation if you’re the victim of an uninsured or hit and run driver.